Protecting your personal data is very important to us. As far as we collect, process or use personal information about you as part of the services provided, we do so in accordance with the relevant German and European data protection laws.
What data does Wimdu use?
We use the personal information actively provided by you for the implementation and use of our services:
1. When you visit or use our website
When you access our platform, for example, to search for accommodation, post listings, make bookings, accept booking requests, pay for accommodation, post comments or reviews, or communicate with other users or Wimdu, we may store information such as your IP address, the time and date of your visit, how you are using our platform, your browser type and information about your computer’s operating system as well as the pages you have visited and your original website.
If you are using a mobile device, we also collect device-specific settings and characteristics and device location data. This data will be stored whether or not you are registered with Wimdu or have logged into your Wimdu user account.
2. After registration
You can create a personal user account on our website. This allows you to save your personal settings, to post a listing or make a booking.
Wimdu requires your email address, a freely chosen password, a form of address, your first name and surname and your payment details to set up an account. The given email address serves as access identification for your user account. After successful registration, you will automatically receive a confirmation email. You can update your personal data in the settings of your user account at any time.
How do we collect data?
We use ‘persistent’ cookies. They remain on the user's computer to simplify personalisation and registration services the next time our site is visited. Cookies can, for example, store what the user has selected. The user can manually remove the cookies at any time.
We also use ‘session’ cookies. These do not remain on the user’s computer. Once the user leaves the site, these temporary cookies are deleted. By collecting the information, we can analyse the usage patterns and structures of the site. In this way we can continuously improve our services, for example, the content, personalisation and simplicity of the site.
You can visit our website without cookies being stored in your browser. You can restrict or disable the storage of cookies in your browser settings at any time. However, this can lead to restrictions in the functionality and usability of our website. To opt out of third-party providers’ interest-based advertising, simply check the box that corresponds to the respective company on www.youronlinechoices.com.
2. Web analytics and tracking
By means of so-called ‘tracking tools’ used on the website, data is collected and stored for marketing and optimisation purposes. The user can object to future data collection and storage at any time.
A. Google Analytics
Only in exceptional cases is the full IP address sent to and shortened by a Google server in the USA. On behalf of Wimdu, Google will use this information to evaluate your use of our website, for compiling reports on website activity and providing other services relating to website activity and internet usage to Wimdu. The IP address, transmitted by your browser through Google Analytics, will not be merged with any other data stored by Google.
You can prevent Google’s collection of data generated by cookies relating to your use of the website (including your IP address) by downloading and installing the browser plug-in available under https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout?hl=en-GB.
B. Google Adwords
We also use the online advertising programme Google AdWords and conversion tracking, which is part of Google Adwords. Google Conversion Tracking is an analysis service provided by Google Inc. (1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA; “Google”). When you click on an advert displayed by Google, a cookie for conversion tracking is stored on your computer. These cookies expire after 30 days, do not contain any personal data and are therefore not used for personal identification.
If you visit certain pages of our website and the cookie has not yet expired, we and Google will be able to see that you clicked on the advert and were brought to this page. Every Google AdWords customer receives a different cookie. This ensures that cookies cannot be tracked on the websites of AdWords customers.
The information collected by means of the conversion cookie is used to compile conversion statistics for AdWords customers who have opted for conversion tracking. These statistics show the customer the total number of users who have clicked on their advert, and which of those customers have been redirected to a page equipped with a conversion tracking tag. However, they do not contain any information that can be used to personally identify users.
For the statistical evaluation of our websites, we use technology from Webtrekk GmbH, Robert-Koch-Platz 4, 10115 Berlin, Deutschland (www.webtrekk.de). We use Webtrekk services to collect data on the use of our website. This data is used to permanently improve and optimise our offers thus making them more interesting for you.
A direct personal reference is excluded at all times. The data thus collected is used to generate anonymous usage profiles, which form the basis for web statistics. The data collected using Webtrekk technology is not used to identify website visitors personally, without their specific consent, and is not merged with the personal data of the bearer of the pseudonym.
Any collected and saved data by Webtrekk can be objected to at any time with future effect. To do so, please click the following link. By providing confirmation via this link, a so-called opt-out cookie is set on your data carrier. The validity period of this cookie is 5 years. Please note that, when deleting all cookies on your computer, this opt-out-cookie is also deleted. If you want to continue to object anonymised data collection by Webtrekk, you must set the opt-out cookie again. The opt-out cookie is set per browser and computer. If you visit our web pages from different devices or using different browsers, you must enable the opt-out cookie on each of the different browsers or computers.
D. New Relic
We use the plugin New Relic, which enables us to statistically analyse the speed of the web page. This service is operated by New Relic, Inc., 188 Spear Street, Suite 1200 San Francisco, CA 94105, USA (“New Relic”).
When a user visits a web page which contains such a plugin, their browser builds a direct connection to the servers of New Relic. Therefore, the provider has no influence on the scope of data collected by New Relic and informs the user according to its current information.
By integrating the plugin, New Relic receives the information that a user has accessed the corresponding page of the offer. If the user is logged in at New Relic, New Relic may assign their visit to their account at New Relic. If a user is not a member of New Relic, there is still the possibility that New Relic will detect and save their IP address.
If a user is a member of New Relic and does not want New Relic to collect and store personal data about them, the user must logout of New Relic before visiting the website.
Our website uses so called re-targeting technology. We use this technology to make our internet offers as appealing to you as possible. This technology allows internet users who are already interested in our offers to respond to the advertising on our partner websites.
A. Criteo GmbH
We also use tracking technology from Criteo GmbH. This technology allows us to address internet users who have visited our website via targeted product recommendations in the form of advertising banners on the websites of our partners. Such advertising banners are displayed on our partners’ sites based on cookies and an analysis of your previous user behaviour. This analysis is conducted anonymously; no usage profiles are merged with your real name. You may object to the collection of data by Criteo GmbH at any time under the following link: https://criteo.com/privacy.
B. Google Customer Match
We use Google Customer Match on our website. It matches a list of email addresses from Wimdu to registered users on Google. If the email address is registered with the service, personalised advertising can be displayed. The email addresses are only evaluated anonymously.
You may object to the collection and storage of data by Google Customer Match at any time with effect for the future.
C. Facebook Custom Audiences
We use the tool Facebook Custom Audiences provided by the company Facebook Inc., 1601 S. California Avenue, Palo Alto, CA 94304 USA (hereinafter “Facebook”), which enables Facebook to display advertising banners on our behalf. Thus, we transmit your email address in encrypted form to Facebook. If you are a Facebook member, Facebook recognizes that you are also registered with Wimdu.
D. Web beacons / pixels
We may also use pixels. A pixel is a tiny graphic that is only one pixel in size and is sent to your computer either via a web page request or in an HTML email format. These pixels are used either directly or by third parties as a part of online advertising on our website or third-party websites. This enables us to learn whether a customer viewing the advertisement actually makes a booking. In addition, this makes it possible to track conversion through partner websites and to analyse the traffic patterns of users on the website in order to optimise our offers for you.
4. Social plugins (Facebook Connect)
When using Facebook Connect, data available to the public and data from your Facebook profile published on Facebook is transmitted to our website. Conversely, data from our website or the Wimdu app can also be transmitted to your Facebook profile. Your transmitted data is stored and processed by Wimdu for the purpose of registration on our platform.
By registering on our platform via Facebook Connect, you agree to the transfer of data from your Facebook profile to Wimdu, and the transfer of data on Wimdu to Facebook.
5. Log files
During every visit to our site, usage data will be transmitted by the respective Internet browser and stored in server log files.
The log file data is analysed anonymously to further improve our offers, to make the site easier to use, to detect and to fix errors more quickly and to control server capacity.
6. Contact form
You can directly contact Wimdu using the contact form found in the imprint. The data provided in the contact form is collected, processed and used by Wimdu solely to attend to your request.
Wimdu uses the email address used to create your user account to send you information about general promotions and offers from Wimdu via email, provided that you have agreed to receive the newsletter. Wimdu may personalise the newsletter content in a way that it contains information Wimdu considers to be of particular interest to you. For such a personalisation of information, Wimdu considers your booking history, i.e. past bookings and offers previously viewed on the website.
You can manage your settings for the Wimdu newsletter within your user account. You can also opt-out of receiving the newsletter by using the contact form.
What do we use your data for?
Wimdu uses your information:
- to enable you to access and use the platform;
- to operate, protect, improve and optimise our platform, such as to analyse, conduct research, personalise or otherwise customise your experience, and for promotional activities;
- to help create and maintain a trusted and more secure environment on our platform and services, particularly fraud detection and prevention, conducting investigations and risk assessments, verifying the address of your listings, verifying any identification provided by you, and conducting checks against databases;
- to send you service, support and administrative messages, reminders, technical notices, updates, security alerts, and information requested by you;
- to administer rewards, referral programs, surveys, sweepstakes, contests or other promotional activities or events sponsored or managed by Wimdu or our business partners;
- to comply with our legal obligations, resolve any disputes that we may have with any of our users, and to enforce our agreements with third parties;
- to send you marketing and promotional messages and other information that may be of interest to you, including information about Wimdu or general promotions for partner campaigns and services, provided that you agreed to receiving the newsletter. You can opt-out of receiving such communication (see ‘newsletter’ section).
Sharing Personal Information with Third Parties
- In order to complete your reservation, we pass on your personal information to third parties. To do this, relevant reservation details need to be transferred to the accommodation you have booked. This may include information such as your name, contact details, payment details, any preferences specified when making a booking and the names of guests travelling with you. This information may also be used by Wimdu or the accommodation to provide you with personalised information related to a reservation. If you have a query about your reservation, we may contact the host and ask them to handle your request.
- We may use service providers, such as data processors, to process your personal data on our behalf. This is done to allow the facilitation of reservation payments, sending of marketing material or for analytical support services. These processors are bound by confidentiality clauses and are forbidden to use your personal data for their own or any other purpose.
- We disclose personal data to law enforcement or other governmental authorities insofar as it is required by law or the authorities, or is strictly necessary for the prevention, detection or prosecution of criminal acts.
- We work with business partners around the world to distribute or advertise accommodation and to help our business partners distribute and advertise their travel-related services. This may mean that their services are integrated into our website or they have been enabled to show a customised advertisement on our website – or we are advertising on their website. When you make a reservation on one of our business partners’ websites, certain personal data given will be forwarded to us. Certain business partners may receive your personal data from us if requested. When you make a reservation on a business partner’s website, please read the privacy policies on these business partners’ websites for more information.
Revocation of consents
You may revoke your consent at any time with effect for the future free of charge under [email protected] or by written notice to Wimdu GmbH, Voltastraße 5, 13355 Berlin.
Information and correction
You have the right to free information about your saved personal data.
You may revoke your consent to store, process and use data at any time with effect for the future.